Vets Home residents have wish list requests
May 27, 2010 · 10:32 AM
For most, Memorial Day brings to mind barbecues, festivals, music and three-day vacations.
But for those who fought so that others have the freedom to enjoy our holiday weekend, it brings moments of remembrance for fallen friends and family members.
During the Memorial Day weekend, the public is asked to show its appreciation for the local veterans.
Each resident at the Washington State Veterans Home at Retsil has put together a wish list of items that they need or would like.
The following list is just a sampling:
• postage stamps;
• phone cards;
• karaoke CDs;
• new model kits;
• gardening supplies;
• large outdoor gardening pots and planters;
• assorted ladies magazines;
• DVD movies;
• dressers, nightstands, fans;
• shadow boxes to display medals and flags;
• electric mixers, breadmakers;
• men’s white underwear briefs in all sizes; and,
• decorations for all major holidays
The veterans home is also in need of a wheelchair-accessible van or bus or a cash contribution towards its purchase.
Donations of these new or gently used items can be made at the Washington State Veteran’s Home located at 1141 Beach Dr., Retsil, WA 98366.
Call (360) 895-4700.