Fire burns SK home, trees, vehicle

A South Kitsap Fire and Rescue crew prevented a Wava Lane fire from spreading into the nearby woods.   - Kaitlin Strohschein/Staff Photo
A South Kitsap Fire and Rescue crew prevented a Wava Lane fire from spreading into the nearby woods.
— image credit: Kaitlin Strohschein/Staff Photo

Thirteen career firefighters and six volunteers from South Kitsap Fire and Rescue helped extinguish a house fire at 4851 Wava Lane that started around 1 p.m. on Monday.

Neighbors reported the fire around 12:56 p.m., saying that it had been preceded by several loud explosions.

An aid unit and an engine from the Glenwood Fire Station, arrived at the scene about 15 minutes later, and and saw that the mobile home, nearby trees, a shed, three cars and a utility trailer were already engulfed in flames.

The first two engines got there and started an exterior defensive attack, meaning that they didn’t go inside the house, but doused it with water and foam from the outside, said Jeff Faucett, South Kitsap Fire and Rescue’s acting batallion chief on Tuesday morning.

A third water truck arrived on the scene and “the fire went out within about 15 minutes,” he said. “Once the water and foam went on it, it went out pretty quick.”

During an overhaul of the structure, South Kitsap Fire and Rescue crews noticed that a small dog had died inside, but no people were injured or killed.

Neighbors said that the home's occupant was at work.

Kitsap County's Fire Marshal determined that multiple electrical problems in the home initially started the fire.

"They were having electrical problem with the house itself," said Tina Turner, a spokeswoman for the county. "They were having problems with multiple outlets."

An investigation from South Kitsap Fire and Rescue crews showed that an acetylene tank explosion probably contributed to the fire, said Faucett.

“It actually launched from the hosue, hit a vehicle and ricoched about 50 feet away,” he said. “That is what progressed the fire so rapidly.”

It also caused the loud sound that the neighbors had heard, he explained.

“It had completely pretty much torn open,” he said.

But Turner said that didn't contribute much to the fire.

"The tank was not in use, neither was any of the equipment attached to the tank," she said.

Damage was initially estimated at $37,800, according to South Kitsap Fire and Rescue.


View Larger Map




We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 28
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates