SK driver with a suspended license crashes van

Taken from incident reports by Kitsap County Sheriff's Deputies:

A drunken car crash, near Northwest Seabeck-Holly Road, in Central Kitsap, around 1:38 a.m. July 2, injured two men.

Another passenger, who wasn’t drunk, allegedly ran away from the scene, unharmed.

All three men went to a bar together that night, but the youngest, a 19-year-old from Bremerton, got kicked out because he was underage.

The other two, a 31-year-old from Bremerton and a 37-year-old from South Kitsap, got extremely drunk.

At the end of the night, all three allegedly got into a white van, and the South Kitsap man tried to drive them home, in spite of the fact that he had a third-degree suspended license, with an interlock device required.

On the way home, the man drove the van across the center line of Northwest Seabeck-Holly Road, near a curve and careened half-way into a ditch.

He continued driving, with the van half in the ditch and half in the wrong lane of traffic, for several hundred feet.

The van took out a large, metal mailbox, and eventually drove about 50 feet into the woods, where it hit a tree, which broke in half, and fell on top of the vehicle.

A passer-by heard the crash and called 9-1-1 to report it.

Since the reporting party hadn’t actually seen the crash, Kitsap County Sheriff’s deputies and aid units had to had to search for the vehicle.

Eventually, they found it. The two drunk men, with “the strong odor of intoxicants emanating from them,” sat on the opposite side of the road, facing the wreck.

Both were injured.

One, later identified as the driver, had a large knot on his forehead with a trickle of blood coming from it.

He was placed on a backboard and carried into a Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue aid unit.

Around 2:55 a.m., a blood-draw was conducted, to test his blood alcohol level.

During the blood draw, he said that he was extremely drunk, and that’s why he passed out and crashed the van.

The other drunk passenger was less cooperative with sheriff’s deputies and aid crews.

Medics from Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue called deputies to the scene because the man was stumbling around and “combative,” and they needed to take him to the hospital.

As the deputy walked to the scene, he noticed that the man had started yelling and screaming that he was being harassed in the United States.

Fearing for his safety, and the safety of the aid crew, the deputy handcuffed the man.

He then called the man’s wife, who said that there were actually three people in the vehicle, at the time of the crash.

Deputies hadn’t yet accounted for the third, the 19-year-old.

The vehicle’s driver said, almost immediately, that the younger man had fled the scene, shortly after the wreck.

But the drunk passenger repeatedly said that he wasn’t with them.

Deputies explained, to the drunk passenger, that he was lucky to be alive, due to the severity of his injuries. So, they needed his help to make sure that the other passenger was OK.

But the drunk man allegedly kept saying that the younger man hadn’t been with them, and they wouldn’t have taken him to a bar, because he was underage.

Eventually the younger man’s mother showed up at the crash scene, and said that her son had made it home safely. He was uninjured, she said.


View Larger Map



We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates