SK man takes down another man who allegedly tried to rob his neighbor

Taken from an incident report by a Kitsap County Sheriff's Deputy:

A 46-year-old South Kitsap woman called 9-1-1, around 8:18 p.m. July 10, to report that her 48-year-old husband had started fighting with a man attempting to rob their neighbor’s house.

A Kitsap County Sheriff’s deputy arrived at the scene around 8:30 p.m., and climbed a locked fence to get to the area where the fight was last seen.

He couldn’t hear talking, yelling or any hint of a struggle.

The woman who reported the incident called out to her husband, and he answered that he and the thief were on the north side of the garage.

The deputy ran over there.

He found the two men there, the suspect was walking toward the front gate.

The deputy yelled, several times, for the suspect to stop, but the suspect ignored him.

So, the deputy ran up to him, grabbed his right arm and told him that he was not ‘free to leave.’

But the man continued walking toward the gate.

The deputy took him to the ground and handcuffed him.

He then asked both men if they were injured.

Both said, “no.”

The deputy escorted the suspect to his patrol car and read him his Miranda rights.

“I don’t understand my rights,” the man said. “I do understand that I need a lawyer.”

So, deputies asked him no further questions.

They asked other witnesses what had happened.

The couple had allegedly been watching the house for their neighbor, while she was in Montana.

While working in their garden, they noticed the suspect walking around the garage.

He allegedly had two beers in his vest pocket and smelled like alcohol.

They didn’t recognize him, and the homeowner hadn’t said anything about guests, so they decided to ask the suspect what he was doing there.

The suspect allegedly said that he is a friend of the former property owner and had stopped by to check things out, since the house was ‘for sale.’

There was no ‘for sale’ sign in front of the property, noted the man who was watching the house.

Then, the suspect got angry and yelled that he wasn’t doing anything wrong.

The 50-year-old suspect even tried to punch the neighbor, who had been watching the house, but the  suspect missed.

After the suspect punched at the man who had been watching the house, the man took the suspect down to the ground and told his wife to call 9-1-1.

The suspect got back up, and the house-sitter took him down again.

A third time, the suspect got back up, and a third time, the neighbor took him to the ground.

As he got up for the fourth time, a deputy arrived at the scene.

He arrested the suspect and took him to jail.

On the way to jail, the suspect allegedly said, “I was just curious about the property. I was just there checking things out.”

But he was booked into jail for attempted residential burglary, fourth degree assault and criminal trespassing.

His bail was initially set at $30,000.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates