Ex-cop faces prison sentence for domestic assault

A former Port Orchard policeman is scheduled to be sentenced to prison Thursday for pushing his girlfriend out a second-story window of the home they shared in Olalla in May 2010.

Dennis L. McCarthy, 49, was convicted last week of first- and second-degree assault after a trial in Kitsap County Superior Court.

When Kitsap County Sheriff's deputies responded to a 9-1-1 call from McCarthy about 4:30 a.m. on May 2, 2010, they found the seriously injured woman lying on a deck outside the house, with curtains and a curtain rod on and under her. McCarthy told officers he was in the shower while the woman was hanging curtains in her bedroom window and that she fell out.

The woman at the time was reluctant to tell officers what happened because she feared what McCarthy would do. She had been preparing to move out of the house that day.

She suffered a severe leg and and ankle fracture and and a broken shoulder, and was hospitalized at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tacoma.

Investigators familiar with a history of domestic violence involving McCarthy and the woman suspected foul play, but the woman was unwilling to be interviewed until Aug. 31, 2010, when a victim advocate accompanied a sheriff's sergeant to talk with the woman in Tacoma.

According to charging documents filed in court, the woman was emotional during the interview and described a history of "mental and physical torture" by McCarthy. She said that on the morning of May 2 as she was packing a suitcase, he put a gun to her head, although she noted that this was the first time McCarthy had pointed a gun at her.

This led to a fight, and the woman kicked McCarthy in the groin in an attempt to get away from him, then ran to the window thinking she might be able to drop to the ground and escape.

She said as she stood looking out the window, McCarthy came up behind her and forcefully shoved her out the window, and she clutched the curtains onĀ  the inside of the window and pulled them out as she fell.

The woman said when she regained consciousness after landing, she started screaming for help hoping a neighbor would hear her. She also said she heard McCarthy inside the house pretending to be looking for, and calling 9-1-1 and becoming very angry during the call.

McCarthy faces a sentencing range of 15 to 17 years in prison for his convictions.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates