News

SKFR | Woman suffers minor injuries extinguishing fire

Women suffers minor injuries extinguishing fire

A woman suffered minor injuries to her feet after she extinguish a carpet fire inside her home after midnight on Feb. 4.

According to Lt. Rick Christenson of South Kitsap Fire and Rescue, said units were dispatched to the 4000 block of Scolfield Road about 12:36 a.m. after a caller reported her attempts to put out a carpet fire.

When firefighters arrived, they found a small care of carpet smoldering and the house full of smoke.

The homeowner was treated at the scene for blisters to her feet and smoke inhalation.The woman reported she fell asleep in a chair and her cigarette fell onto the carpet, igniting the fire. She reported the house had for smoke detectors which alerted her to the fire.

“Damage to the home and the injuries to the homeowner could have been significantly worse had it hot been for properly working smoke detectors in the home,” Christenson said.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 17 edition online now. Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates