News

Fire ruins SK family's Easter

"William Gibbs and his family spent part of their Easter Sunday in a hotel room. And not because they planned to.A blaze broke out in their home's garage and, within minutes, devoured the structure's eaves and roof line, carving a path through the living and dining areas. A car and trailer parked in the driveway caught fire, and the siding on a neighbor's home ignited as well. Before South Kitsap Fire District 7 firefighters could extinguish the fire, it caused an estimated $25,000 in property damage and another $50,000 in content damage, officials said.Gibbs, along with his wife, mother-in-law and daughter, escaped the structure unharmed. Withh nowhere to go that night, the family tapped into its insurance and secured a hotel room for the night, officials reported.The fire started at about 4:20 p.m. Sunday when Gibbs, working inside his garage during the cool afternoon, accidentally tipped over a propane heater. Gibbs told officials he ran for a garden hose, but by the time he returned with it, the flames had already spread. He called 9-1-1 at that point and evacuated his family. About 20 firefighters arrived at the scene within five minutes of the 9-1-1 alert and stayed until shortly before 9 p.m."

Our Mobile Apps

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event
We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 18 edition online now. Browse the archives.