"Care center sued in beating, death of resident"

"A South Kitsap woman is suing the Port Orchard Care Center and its parent company, Life Care Centers of America, for failing to protect her husband from an attack last year by another resident, which she said contributed to his death five months later.Leland Moore, a resident at the facility, was badly beaten Nov. 19, 1999, by a 70-year-old resident suffering from dementia. Dorothy Moore, the victim's wife, filed suit in October, alleging a night nurse failed to respond to noises coming from the wing where Leland's room was, allowing Leland's assailant to beat him for about 30 minutes before someone checked on him.She is also suing for emotional distress she said endured when she returned with her husband from the hospital the morning after the attack and witnessed his room still spattered with blood.Dorothy's attorney, Sandra LaCelle, said the amount of monetary damages they will ask for has not yet been set.Dorothy admitted Leland into the Port Orchard Care Center Jan. 15, 1999, according to court papers. Because Leland suffered from Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases, he was placed in the center's E Wing, a lock-down ward where patients are monitored 24 hours a day and residents are not permitted to leave by themselves.Around 11:40 p.m., on Nov. 19,1999, a nurse noted she heard a noise coming from E Wing, according to court documents. She asked assistants - who were busy covering rounds in another wing - to check on the sound. They did not leave the other wing to investigate.The nurse heard a cry for help around 12:10 a.m. She left the nurse's station and went into E Wing to investigate. When she entered Leland's room and turned on the light, she found the other resident holding Leland against the wall and punching him repeatedly in the face. She said she grabbed the assailant's arm to make him stop punching Leland.The nurse called for help and someone at the facility called 911.The walls of the room were spattered with blood and Leland had visible, extensive wounds to his neck and face area, according to the court document.Staff at the Port Orchard Care Center called Dorothy to tell her Leland had been hit by another resident and was going to the hospital for treatment.Port Orchard police responded to the facility to investigate the assault around 12:30 a.m.Officers noted in a police report that Leland was sitting in a chair with blood-covered clothing and a large cut on his cheek. The side of his face was swollen and one eye was discolored from bruising.At Harrison Memorial Hospital, Leland was treated by a specialist because of the extent of his injuries, according to the court document. Dorothy brought Leland back to the Port Orchard Care Center around 6:30 a.m. Nov. 20. When she entered his room, his walls were still spattered with blood. Leland slept on a recliner near the nurse's station until staff cleaned the room.He died five months later on April 21, 2000.The Port Orchard Care Center's attorney, David Tift, has not yet filed papers responding to the accusations. Attorneys set the default hearing for the case for Nov. 17. "

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates