Kitsap deputy now facing even more charges

The Kitsap County Prosecutor’s Office upped the ante last week against sheriff’s deputy Michael Mayson, who is accused of assaulting and threatening his ex-wife.

Prosecutors originally charged the 40-year-old with one count of second-degree assault and two counts of felony harassment.

Now more charges have been tacked onto the court case, and Mayson is being charged with two counts of second-degree assault, two counts of attempted assault in the second degree, two counts of unlawful imprisonment and one count of harassment.

Prosecutors decided to drop one of the harassment charges, but added a firearms enhancement to one of the assault charges, alleging Mayson was armed at the time.

Mayson’s trial date was also set for Dec. 2, changed from sometime this month. The added charges mean Mayson could face anywhere from up to 14 months in prison to several years in prison — the final outcome depends on whether he is convicted and on how many charges.

Adding charges is a common move. The prosecutor’s office routinely increases the number and seriousness of the charges against those who, for whatever reason, don’t plead guilty to the original set of charges. And a trial ensues.

Mayson allegedly became “enraged” after his ex-wife went on a shopping expedition with her boss in December 2001. He accused her of an affair, cuffed her with department-issued handcuffs and pointed a gun to the back of her head, threatening to kill her, she said.

Another incident, outlined in court documents, occurred in February. Mayson allegedly found his ex-wife on the Internet with a friend when he came home while still on shift. According to his ex-wife, he got upset because she wasn’t allowed on the Internet when he wasn’t home.

Mayson allegedly cuffed her and restricted her breathing by covering her mouth and nose with his hands, according to court documents.

A third incident allegedly occurred in late March. Mayson’s ex-wife told investigators they were sharing some champagne when he “flipped out,” and started to throw items around the house before attacking her.

Court documents state he grabbed her and threw her into a chair where he slapped her hard across the face several times. She told investigators he pinned her to the floor, covering her nose and mouth with his hand. She eventually escaped to a neighbor’s house where she called a friend who, in turn, picked her up.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates