Two students arrested at fight during SKHS dance

Two South Kitsap High School students were arrested and another taken to the hospital following a fight during a school dance Saturday night.

According to School Resource Officer Bob MacFann, the 18-year-old victim suffered minor lacerations and several large contusions to his head and said he briefly lost consciousness during an assault involving four other students. He was treated and released from Harrison Hospital.

According the police report, the incident began at the high school during the Oct. 25 Homecoming Dance. The victim said four students — two males and two females — approached him and one of the females began arguing with him. During the altercation, the group was approached by school officials and told to end their argument and either leave the area or come back to the dance.

According to witnesses, the four students left the area, telling the victim they would be across the street. The victim then joined them and the altercation continued.

The victim said a 16-year-old male student shoved him and punched him in the head.

When he fell to the ground, a 17-year-old male student began kicking him in his face and sides, and that student’s girlfriend, 16, began beating him with what the victim said he believed was a brown glass bottle.

After interviewing the victim, MacFann interviewed the other students except for the 16-year-old male, whom he was unable to contact.

He read them their rights and they agreed to talk to him.

The 17-year-old admitted to kicking the victim and said his girlfriend — who had denied hitting the victim — had hit the victim several times in the head with the heel of her shoe, not a bottle.

He then said the other girl, 15, had hit the victim with her shoe as well, but later recanted that statement.

All of the students involved in the incident said they were fighting because the victim “would not talk to his date.”

After talking to the students, MacFann arrested the 17-year-old and his girlfriend. They were booked into the Kitsap County Juvenile Detention Facility on Monday and charged with assault in the second degree.

Kitsap County Juvenile Division Deputy Prosecutor Todd Dowell said the students’ charges were dropped to fourth-degree assault, a gross misdemeanor.

The students pleaded not guilty at their arraignment Wednesday, and their next hearing is scheduled for Nov. 12.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates