- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Rape charges dropped against Idaho suspect
The Kitsap County Prosecutors Office has dropped a rape charge filed against an Idaho man accused of assaulting a Port Orchard woman he reportedly met over the Internet.
John Calvin Tetro, 46, was arrested in October and charged with second-degree rape after the 51-year-old alleged victim reported to the Port Orchard Police Department he had attacked her behind a closed restaurant.
The victim whose name is being withheld said she had been corresponding with the suspect via e-mail for several months. They had met in person more than once before the alleged rape, she said, but added that she did not agree to have sex with him that night.
According to documents filed in Kitsap Superior Court, prosecutors dropped the charge Dec. 4 without prejudice meaning it can be re-filed in the future due to new evidence that came to light and made dismissal in the interests of justice.
The victim claims some of the evidence was what she described as provocative e-mails between her and the suspect. The prosecutors in the case could not be reached for comment.
According to Port Orchard Police Sgt. Mark Duncan, the alleged rape occurred Oct. 5 and was reported two days later, but Tetro was not arrested until late October because the victim had very little information about her alleged attacker.
She knew a name, but she didnt know anything else, Duncan said.