- About Us
Cedar Heights students charged in bomb plot
Three Cedar Heights Junior High School students allegedly planning a bomb scare during a St. Patricks Day assembly were charged with criminal conspiracy Thursday, according to Kitsap County Juvenile Division Deputy Prosecutor Todd Dowell.
The students a 14-year-old girl, 14-year-old boy and 13-year-old boy reportedly plotted for several weeks to take over the school with explosives and shotguns before the plan was discovered by school officials.
According to school officials, the students not only discussed placing an explosive device under bleachers and setting it off during an assembly last Wednesday, they allegedly had access to bomb-making materials and firearms, and had obtained a school map to identify easy entry points.
Dowell said all three students who were emergency expelled when the plot was discovered will each be charged with conspiracy to make a bomb threat, a class C felony.
They have not been arrested, but are due in court March 30.
According to the report filed by School Resource Officer Bob MacFann, school officials learned of the plot after one of the students parents contacted them on March 3 to report her son knew of a plan to blow up the school during an assembly March 17.
The mother and her 14-year-old son then told MacFann of at least three students whom the boy said had been talking for several weeks about bringing a bomb and shotguns to school.
The boy said he was afraid of the students and was worried they would follow through on their plan.
MacFann then talked to one of other students named a 13-year-old boy who denied being involved in the plot, but admitted he liked science and was interested in how bombs were made.
The boy said he knew and often talked to the other students mentioned in the plot, and identified the main kids involved as himself, the 14-year-old girl, and the 14-year-old boy who came forward with his mother.
He then admitted that, although he had not told the others how to make a bomb, he had showed them how to make a napalm-type incendiary device.
MacFann next talked to the 14-year-old girl. After first saying she was thinking of becoming a scientist and had only talked to the 13-year-old boy about his science kit, she later admitted they had discussed bringing bomb-making stuff to school.
When MacFann asked her if the students ever planned to bring the stuff to school, she said Yes, on the 17th ... But, we werent necessarily going to kill anyone.
The girl said she and the two boys had been planning to bring explosives and firearms to school for some time because they did not like the school or most of their fellow students.
She said the 13-year-old had bomb-making materials at his home, and she had access to her fathers firearms.
MacFann later spoke to the girls father, who said he did have firearms at home, but that they were disassembled and secured.
After learning of the plot, Cedar Heights Principal Pat Green sent a letter to both her staff and her students parents to inform them of the incident.
Based on the investigation, we now know that what may have begun as a fantasy discussion earlier in the year turned into a serious plot to cause harm to others at school, Green wrote.
Along with the three students who were expelled, Green wrote that two other students were suspended for apparently knowing about the plan but not alerting any adults.