Gun drawn in pizza coupon dispute

A dispute over an unused pizza coupon Friday night turned violent and sent a 28-year-old Port Orchard man to jail for suspicion of fourth-degree assault.

Just before 6:30 p.m., Kitsap County Sheriff’s deputies arrived at Pizza Time on Lund Avenue in response to reports of a physical assault in progress. When they arrived, the 28-year-old suspect was still arguing with employees over a pizza he and his wife had purchased earlier.

Deputies placed the couple in handcuffs and first talked to the wife, who told them the trouble started when she ordered a pizza over the telephone and commented on how rude the order-taker was.

She said they picked up the pizza and got into an argument with employees concerning the size and price of the pizza, but went home without incident.

Later, she said, she noticed a coupon on the pizza box called Pizza Time back to find out whether they could use the coupon. She said the employee she talked to said she couldn’t and hung up on her.

This upset her, so she and her husband went back to Pizza Time and started arguing with the staff about the pizza, cost, and the coupon.

The employees refunded their money, she said, but when they got to the parking lot her husband turned around and started arguing with the employees again.

At one point, she said, she was trying to hold her husband back but he broke free and ran into the restaurant and jumped over the counter after the male employee. She said she ran in after him and was trying to get him when the police arrived.

The Pizza Time employees agreed with what the suspect’s wife said, but also said when the suspect jumped over the counter he hit two employees — a married couple — in the face with a closed fist. The female employee’s husband then pulled a gun on the suspect in order to protect his wife, holstering it only after the suspect retreated.

Deputies later asked the suspect to explain what prompted the fight and, according to the police report, he said he was in a “fit of rage, and didn’t know what he was doing.”

The suspect, who is on active duty stationed at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, was booked for fourth-degree assault and released on personal recognizance into the custody of his Navy command.

His wife, who apparently had only been involved in that she tried to get her husband under control, was not arrested.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 14
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates