Former deputy coroner died of gunshot

Although officials have determined former Kitsap County Deputy Coroner Jane Jermy died of a gunshot wound to the head, much of the mystery surrounding her death has yet to be unraveled, according to the Thurston County Coroner’s office.

“The manner of death — whether it was homicide, suicide or accidental — is still pending,” said Coroner Judy Arnold, explaining that while the cause of death was announced Friday, determining the manner of death may take weeks.

Jermy, 47, was found dead in her home by Kitsap County Sheriff’s deputies responding to a 911 call Wednesday afternoon. The only other occupant of the home at the time was the deceased’s husband, former Kitsap County Deputy Frank Jermy, 45, who was later transported to the hospital.

His medical condition was not released.

Arnold said her office is waiting for the results of toxicology tests on Jermy’s body to be returned, which she said may take up to four weeks due to a backlog at the state’s crime lab.

The results, which would reveal any alcohol or drug use by the deceased prior to her death, will provide the coroner’s office a “better picture of what happened,” Arnold said.

Shortly after Jermy’s body was discovered, the Washington State Patrol took over the investigation at the request of the Sheriff’s office, which spokesman Deputy Scott Wilson said was to avoid any conflict of interest due to both the deceased and her husband being employed in the past by the county.

Lt. Clint Casebolt of the WSP said his office could only classify the case as a death investigation at this time, and would not speculate as to whether Jermy’s wound was self-inflicted.

Casebolt said it is not uncommon for the WSP to take over death investigations, however, and it usually only does so on the specific request of another agency.

Jane Jermy served as chief deputy coroner for Kitsap County for more than 10 years before her dismissal in 1999.

Frank Jermy was hired as a deputy sheriff in 1983, but was placed on administrative leave after his arrest in a domestic violence incident between he and his wife involving a firearm in October of 2000, according to Wilson.

In January of 2001, Frank Jermy was fired from the Sheriff’s office for “violation of rules and policies.”

Three months later, he pleaded guilty to third-degree domestic violence assault in Kitsap County Superior Court.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates