News

Laundry room fire floods home with water, smoke

A South Kitsap family escaped injury but their home was filled with smoke and flooded with water Tuesday night after a laundry room fire broke out, according to South Kitsap Fire and Rescue.

Spokeswoman Lisa Kirkemo said the fire on the 4600 block of Terrace Way SE started sometime after 7 p.m. when the family left the house.

Two hours later, the family returned to find smoke filling the house and a fire in the laundry room.

Kirkemo said one of the family members grabbed a garden hose and doused the fire, but not before it had melted the hoses connected to the washing machine, flooding the first floor and basement with at least an inch of water.

Smoke had also escaped up the laundry shoot and into the second floor of the home, causing extensive smoke damage and killing the family’s dog and cat.

Kirkemo said fire crews spent three hours on scene after the fire was extinguished to mop up water from the floors and attempt to salvage much of the family’s belongings.

She said the Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s Office had not determined the cause of the fire, which is estimated to have caused more than $222,000 in damage.

Our Mobile Apps

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event
We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 11 edition online now. Browse the archives.