Port Orchard resident stabbed in home

A 22-year-old man was charged with assault after allegedly stabbing a Port Orchard resident in his home on Thursday evening, according to the Port Orchard Police Department.

Joseph Samuel Harris was found bleeding and wounded a block from the victim’s home shortly after the incident, during which the 22-year-old resident of the 500 block of Harrison Avenue said he had been stabbed by an unknown man in his home.

According to the POPD report, the incident began shortly after 5 p.m. when the victim said he discovered the suspect in the hallway of his home, where he said he lives with his girlfriend and her 2-year-old son.

The victim said earlier that day his girlfriend had been frightened when she found the suspect in the basement, and later when the victim saw the suspect again, he told him to leave the house.

At that point, the victim said the suspect took out a large butcher knife and said, “You’re gonna die.”

The victim ran into the toddler’s room and tried to close the door on the suspect, but said the suspect was bigger and stronger and pushed the door open and began to swing at him with the knife, stabbing him in the arm.

The victim said he fought back, wrestling the knife from the man and stabbing back, then eventually breaking away to grab a cordless phone and run outside to call police.

He said at that point the suspect ran away.

Soon after police responded to the victim’s home, they found Harris wandering nearby, his face and arms covered in blood and deep cuts visible on his throat. He was carrying a black pocket knife in one hand.

After transporting Harris for medical treatment, police questioned him. He said he had been out drinking the night before with a man — the father of the victim’s girlfriend — at a bar on Bay Street.

Since he got very drunk, he said the man invited him to sleep at his house, which was located directly below the victim’s home and connected by a staircase.

Harris said he fell asleep in the basement, but woke up when a woman came downstairs. He then went upstairs, where he said the victim confronted him, yelling at him to leave and then attacking him. He said the victim slashed him with a knife, so he pulled out his pocket knife and “lunged at him.”

After being told several times by the officers questioning him that his version of events did not match the evidence they found, Harris said he did not want to talk anymore. He was then arrested for first-degree assault and burglary.

On Friday, he pleaded not guilty to one count of second-degree assault in Kitsap County Superior Court.

He is currently awaiting trial in Kitsap County Jail, where he is being held under $100,000 bail.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates