School official reported suspicions about Manns, district spokesperson says

Local school officials claim they notified authorities more than a year ago about potential abuse occurring in Judith Kay and Larry Lee Mann’s home, according to South Kitsap School District Spokeswoman Aimee Warthen.

Warthen said all three of the young children adopted by the Manns — who were charged this week with hog-tying a young boy and girl in their home — were enrolled at Burley-Glenwood Elementary School last year when a school counselor became concerned about potential mistreatment of at least one of the children.

“As per district procedure, the counselor notified both Child Protective Services(CPS) and called 911,” Warthen said, explaining that the school’s principal said both agencies were contacted on March 11, 2004.

Warthen said she read the CPS report that was completed following the school counselor’s referral, but she could not speak to its contents or elaborate on how many of the three children were involved.

CPS spokeswoman Kathy Spears could not be reached for comment.

Warthen said she saw no official documentation verifying a district staff member placed a 911 call regarding the incidents, but said she “highly doubted” that the employee did not follow procedure.

“These incidents are highly sensitive stuff to us, and I believe the staff’s report that they called 911,” she said.

Following the Manns’ first appearance in court on Monday, Kitsap County Sheriff Steve Boyer told reporters he knew of no previous abuse incidents being reported at the Manns’ home.

However, Spokesman Deputy Scott Wilson said Friday that he searched his office’s records and verified there was a 911 call placed by a Burley-Glenwood employee shortly after 11:30 a.m. on March 11 of last year.

Wilson said the employee was reporting suspected child abuse in the Manns’ home, and that the child(ren) might be being beaten with glue sticks. Wilson said the case would have been referred to his office's school resource officer at the time, who has since resigned from the department.

He said it would not have been typical for the former officer to not follow-up on such a call, and his office is looking into the matter.

Warthen said all three children were pulled out of the school late last year when Judith Mann filed a “parental declaration of intent for home instruction.”

Warthen said Mann and her husband were the children’s legal guardians, having adopted all three children, although only one was related to her by blood.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates