Plea deal offer for S. Kitsap grandma expires

A plea agreement that prosecutors said would significantly lower the potential jail time for a South Kitsap woman accused of tying up her adopted children was withdrawn last week, according to Kitsap County Superior Court records.

At a hearing on Dec. 16, Deputy Prosecutor Claire Bradley said the plea agreement that had been on the table for several months for Judith Kay Mann, charged with both second-degree child abuse and imprisonment, expired that day.

Mann, 61, faces several years in prison if found guilty at her trial, since Bradley has said she would add more counts to the charges if the case goes to trial.

Mann’s trial, which has been delayed several times, is now scheduled to begin in mid-January.

Both Mann and her husband, Larry Lee, 66, were arrested last June for allegedly restraining at least two of the young children in their home with plastic zip-ties while feeding them only ice cubes and graham crackers for several days, according to investigators.

In October, Larry Mann accepted a plea agreement from Bradley that lowered the assault charge to third-degree and the possible jail time to eight months. He was sentenced to eight months, but is only serving four after being given credit for time already served.

Also at the hearing last Friday, Mann’s defense attorney Chad Enright asked to be withdrawn from the case, stating that his client “refuses to speak with him.” Mann then requested the court appoint her another attorney.

This is the second time Mann has requested a different attorney. In October, she petitioned the court to replace Roger Hunko as her attorney of record.

Last month, Judith Mann was also granted a furlough from Kitsap County Jail to inspect her home following a burglary.

According to Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Deputy Scott Wilson, Judith Mann was released from jail for three hours on Nov. 23 to make a list of stolen items for her insurance company.

Wilson said a relative reported the burglary on July 17, about a month after the couple was incarcerated.

According to the report, a glass door had been shattered at their home on the 10000 block of Bethel-Burley Road, and a digital camera and DVD player were among the items taken.

The Manns were arrested June 11 after a thin and disheveled 10-year-old boy in pajamas was found walking barefoot on the Manns’ street around 4:30 a.m. that day, claiming to have escaped their house after having been tied up for several days, according to the Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office.

When deputies entered the home, they discovered the boy’s 7-year-old sister hog-tied — her ankles and wrists bound with plastic zip-ties — on a mattress. They also found a third child, reportedly the 11-year-old son of Judith Mann’s son James Vance, who was not tied-up, but appeared malnourished.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates