SK man charged after hitting infant

A 26-year-old South Kitsap man who may have slapped his three-month-old baby hard enough to cause brain damage was charged this week with assault in Kitsap County Superior Court.

Christopher Alan Jackson pleaded not guilty to second-degree child assault at his arraignment Wednesday. He is currently being held in Kitsap County Jail under $500,000 bail.

According to the Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office, Jackson was arrested at Harrison Medical Center in Bremerton on Jan. 29, after he and his wife brought their infant daughter to the hospital shortly after 5 p.m.

According to the incident report, when the baby was admitted she had several bruises about her face and head, and tests revealed she had bleeding on her brain. After learning that Jackson might have hurt her, hospital security handcuffed him and call 911.

When deputies arrived, they questioned Jackson, along with the baby’s mother and grandmother.

Jackson agreed to give a statement and said he was alone with the infant earlier that day when his wife and her mother went shopping.

He said after the pair had been gone for half an hour, the baby began crying.

He said he tried to quiet her by feeding her, burping her and changing her diaper, but nothing worked, so he said he lost control and began to hit her. He said he hit her on both her head and torso a total of six times.

He said he was currently suffering from stress, since he had just lost his job two days prior, he wasn’t sleeping well and was battling depression.

He said he had been prescribed medication, but he had not been taking it for three weeks.

When deputies questioned Jackson’s wife, she said when she first got home from shopping and saw the baby’s bruises, her husband said she was injured when he tripped over her in her car seat and she fell out.

Later, however, on the way to the hospital, she said he admitted he “lost his temper and slapped (the baby) around.”

She said she did not want to press charges and that her husband needed help.

After questioning Jackson, deputies examined the baby’s injuries and determined they were consistent with his story, with the exception of some bruises on her back.

The baby was later transferred to Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital in Tacoma for specialized treatment.

She was last described as conscious and alert, and in stable condition.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates