Fire marshal denies domestic abuse

Kitsap County Fire Marshal Derrick Crawley, arrested last month on a domestic violence charge, has filed a statement that proclaims his innocence of the charge.

“I categorically deny that I have ever assaulted, harassed or threatened Ms. Frey in any manner,” Crawley wrote in a declaration filed Feb. 14 in Kitsap County Superior Court.

Natasha R. Frey, who was living in Crawley’s house at the time of the incident, has filed a restraining order against Crawley but continues to live in his house.

Crawley, who said he has known Frey for about five years, began living together with Frey in September.

“I allowed her to move into the house because I took a liking to her and wanted to help her and her family though a rough time,” Crawley wrote. “However, after she moved in, I began to feel suspicious about her motives. I started to feel as if I was being taken advantage of and deceived.”

According to the statement, Frey told Crawley she had a job at the Clearwater Casino in Suquamish. Crawley saw a card from the casino that thanked Frey for applying but declined her application for work.

Frey denied this, and said that she, in fact, had the job. After that incident, Crawley observed that she rarely left the house.

“Our relationship had become increasingly defensive and confrontational,” he wrote. “We would pass each other in the hallways and not acknowledge each other.”

Frey, Crawley said, promised to move out by Feb. 1. The weekend prior to that date, Frey’s son came to Crawley’s room looking for a phone charger.

According to Crawley, Frey then started an argument that resulted in two visits from the police.

On the second occasion, the police advised that Crawley and Frey stay on separate floors of the house.

Frey later called police and accused Crawley of kicking down a door and not staying upstairs as he promised. He was then served with a protective order that forced him to move to a hotel.

“As a result of Ms. Frey’s obtaining this temporary order of protection, which prohibits me from going into my house, I have been forced to rent a hotel room and car,” Crawley wrote. “And on Monday, Feb. 6, 2006, I was placed on administrative leave, all because of Ms. Frey’s false allegations.”

Crawley is scheduled for a court appearance this week with regard to the restraining order.

Crawley’s attorney, Eric Fong of Port Orchard, did not respond to requests for information about the case.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates