News

Fire causes minor damage to Port Orchard home

Kitsap County Fire Marshall’s Office reported the March 22 fire that damaged the second floor of a Port Orchard home originated in a plastic container kept on the deck for disposal of cigarettes.

South Kitsap Fire and Rescue units and 14 firefighters responded to a residential structure fire at SE Auburn Street about 9 a.m. on March 22.

Battalion Chief Jon Gudmundsen said when units arrived, they found smoke coming from the second floor on the back of the home with one occupant outside. The fire started on the second-floor deck and burned into the wall and floor.

Estimated damage was about $10,000 and no injuries were reported.

Gudmundsen said the home had a working smoke detector which alerted the occupant who called 911.

He said the scenario was a great example of how “smoke detectors do save lives.”

For questions on smoke detectors or any fire prevention tips, you can contact South Kitsap Fire

& Rescue at 360-871-2411.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Dec 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates