News

South Kitsap Fire and Rescue firefighters battle two minor fires within hour

South Kitsap Fire and Rescue firefighters make their way to the second floor of a home on Hull Avenue where a one-room fire was reported. - Photo by South Kitsap Fire and Rescue
South Kitsap Fire and Rescue firefighters make their way to the second floor of a home on Hull Avenue where a one-room fire was reported.
— image credit: Photo by South Kitsap Fire and Rescue

Within an hour, South Kitsap Fire and Rescue firefighters were busy extinguishing two minor blazes in Port Orchard on March 25.

At 5 p.m., units responded to a residential structure fire on Cline Avenue, according to Battalion Chief Jon Gudmundsen. He said while en route, SKRF was advised a subject was seen entering the home about 15 minutes prior to the fire. No one was observed exiting the home.

When units arrived, they found smoke coming from the back door of the smaller residence.

Gudmundsen said firefighters extinguished the fire and the home suffered an estimated $30,000 in damage. There were no injuries reported.

The Kitsap County Fire Marshall’s office investigated the fire and determined the blaze was suspicious in nature. It is still under investigation, said Gudmundsen.

About an hour later, Gudmundsen said units were dispatched to another structure fire on Hull Avenue. When firefighters arrived they found smoke coming from the second-story window of an older, medium size home.

Firefighters were advised one person was still inside the home. They found a male with moke inhalation attempting to exit from the second story, said Gudmunsen. The man was taken out of the home and placed into a medical unit at the scene.

Crews were able to contain the fire to one room which caused an estimated $15,000 in damage.

Crews quickly learned the house had been occupied and one occupant was still inside. Crews initiated an attack to the second story and found a 53-year-old male with smoke inhalation attempting to exit from the second story. While the crew assisted the occupant out of the

home and to a medic unit, firefighters continued to the second floor and extinguished a one room fire. The man was treated at the scene and released.

Fire marshalls determined the blaze was caused by discarded cigarettes in the second-story bedroom.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 19 edition online now. Browse the archives.