News

Girl playing with matches starts fire inside Gorst home

South Kitsap Fire and Rescue firefighters shift through burned materials pulled from inside a Gorst home. - Photo by South Kitsap Fire and Rescue
South Kitsap Fire and Rescue firefighters shift through burned materials pulled from inside a Gorst home.
— image credit: Photo by South Kitsap Fire and Rescue

GORST — The contents of a bedroom were completely destroyed and the house suffered minimal smoke damage as the results of a young girl playing with matches.

According to South Kitsap Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief Guy Dalrymple, firefighters responded to the fire around 12:15 p.m. on Tuesday, May 28, to find one bedroom engulfed in flames with smoke pushing throughout the home located on West Frontage Road.

Dalrymple said firefighters extinguished the fire within minutes of their arrival.

The mother and child were unharmed.

The girl was playing with matches in her bedroom and a lit match apparently fell on the mattress and ignited the linens or blanket, reported Dalrymple.

Dalrymple also reported there were no working smoke detectors in the home.

The father told SKFR officers he had purchased new batteries, but had not  installed them.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Dec 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates