Neighbor’s actions help save home, lives

Alertness and quick thinking by a neighbor helped contain a fire inside a garage that could have caused further damage to a Port Orchard home, according to South Kitsap Fire and Rescue.

Battalion Chief Ron Powers said John Roy was driving by the home on Siskin Circle about 7 p.m. Monday when he saw black smoke coming from the garage. Roy stopped his car and a second neighbor, who was outside watching the events, called 911.

Powers said Roy went to an open door of the home and told the occupants to get out because it was on fire. He found the fire — located in the garage — was caused by a burning pan on grease on a kitchen stove and removed the pan and stove.

Roy used a garden hose to contain the fire until firefighters arrived.

“By the time the fire department arrived the forward progress of the fire had been stopped, and the fire was contained to the garage and kept from entering the house by the sheetrock and quick actions of Mr. Roy,” Powers said.

Powers said several SKFR units responded to confirm the fire was extinguished.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates