South Kitsap man dies from fire injuries

The King County Medical Examiner’s Office released the cause of death of a South Kitsap man involved in a Oct. 9 fire.

Jimmie Dale Johnston, 63, died from smoke inhalation and severe burns on 40 percent of his body, according to William Barour, investigator for the medical examiner’s office.

Johnston died Oct. 10 at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. Barour said Johnston’s death was ruled an accident.

Johnston was pulled from his home, located in the 1300 block of Glenwood Road SW, by a neighbor about 6:30 p.m. He was transported to Harborview with second- and third-degree burns on his back and legs.

After seeing smoke coming from Johnston’s home, the neighbor called 911 and entered the home to see if anyone was inside. He pulled the victim to the front yard where South Kitsap Fire and Rescue emergency personnel attended to Johnston.

SKFD crew quickly extinguished the fire.

SKFD officials reported they believed Johnston was inside the home when the fire began and he went outside to discard his burning clothes before re-entering the burning structure.

The Kitsap County Fire Marshall’s Office reported the house didn’t have smoke alarms and don’t think the fire was set intentionally.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates