- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
South Kitsap man charged for assaulting child
A 52-year-old South Kitsap man faces child assault charges, according to court documents filed in Kitsap County District Court.
On June 16, Joseph Brooks Pratt, 52, was charged with third-degree assault of a child.
According to charging papers, police were dispatched to the Safeway store on Bethel Road in Port Orchard. Several witnesses described a man hitting a small child in the store’s parking lot. Officers followed the man and child inside the store and identified the suspect as Pratt.The child was a 4-year-old boy. Police found the boy sitting in a shopping cart with red marks on his cheek, which appeared to be an injury. The man’s right arm was bleeding. The suspect told officers that the boy refused to get in a truck and he had to spank him and that the boy bit him.
Officers examined the boy and found marks on his back and sides, stated court documents.
Pratt was arrested and booked into the Kitsap County Jail for second-degree assault of a child. Bail was set at $110,000.
The following charges were filed in Kitsap County District Court from June 11-17:
• June 17: Kimberly Lynn Cookson, 22, Port Orchard, second-degree trafficking in stolen property.
• June 16: Thaddeus Eugene Heberling, 36, Port Orchard, driving under the influence and hit and run; Jason Michael Bricks, 41, Port Orchard, driving under the influence.
• June 13: Aaron Joseph Sewell, 23, Port Orchard, fourth-degree assault.
• June 12: Bret Mitchell Hollman, 21, Port Orchard, two counts of second-degree assault.
• June 11: Scott Michael Thomas, 42, Port Orchard, driving under the influence.