- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Florida man charged with stalking local woman
A Florida man has been charged with stalking a Port Orchard woman.
Wesley James Stephenson, 41, of Jacksonville, was charged Aug. 6, in Kitsap County District Court.
He was arrested and booked into the Kitsap County Jail on Aug. 11. Bail was set at $100,000.
Charging papers stated that the female victim told a Port Orchard police investigator on April 25 that she found a GPS tracking devise attached to her car. She reported that her and her ex-husband had been receiving phone calls from an unknown person who disguised his voice. Both the woman and man, along with their parents, had been receiving calls.
The victim said on Feb. 1 she met the suspect at a Southcenter bar in King County. He told her he was from Florida and worked for a cellphone company, and was in Washington working on cellular towers. She said the suspect would give her gifts and hand-written notes, and that she believes the man hacked into her phone and obtained the number to her parents home. The woman described the suspect as smart and very “eccentric,” according to court records. The victims said she started going to another bar, but the suspect followed her. She said that the suspect would send her dozens of emails each week.
Investigators conducted an Internet search and found that the suspect worked as wireless technician for a cellphone company, according to court documents. The suspect also contacted the woman’s former pastor, who had received several text messages from the suspect. The pastor also found photographs (the same also sent to her ex-husband) that were attached to the front gate of the church. The pastor identified the suspect from a photography provided by investigators.
The following charges were filed by Kitsap County prosecutors in District Court from July 30 to Aug. 12:
• Aug. 11: Steven Charles Berlin, 46, Port Orchard, second-degree burglary and harming a police dog; John Edward Tellinghusen, 42, Port Orchard, second-degree taking a motor vehicle without permission; Sydney Coles, 23, Port Orchard, second-degree theft.
• Aug. 8: Melvin John Morgensen Jr., 40, Olalla, fourth-degree assault.
• Aug. 7: James Walter Dawson, 47, Port Orchard, possession of methamphetamie.
• Aug. 6: Hubert Reyes Taisacan, 48, Port Orchard, driving under the influence; James Kyle Bryan, 23, South Colby, harassment (gross misdemeanor).
• Aug. 4: Terry Robert Moffitt, 19, Port Orchard, driving under the influence; Timothy Roy Trousdale, 26, Port Orchard, attempting to elude pursuing police vehicle; Benjamin J. Goodburn, 48, Port Orchard, second-degree unlawful possession of a firearm; Robert G. Bump, 40, Port Orchard, three counts of felony telephone harassment.
• July 31: Austin Carl Edwin Lowe, 21, Port Orchard, harassment (gross misdemeanor) and forgery; Paul Matthew Dietz, 26, Port Orchard, forgery.
• July 30: Beverly Carol Vernwald, 26, Port Orchard, fugitive from justice in another state; Crystal Ann Duncan, 25, Olalla, possession of methamphetamie.