News

Stove causes fire in South Kitsap home

The Kitsap County Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s Office reported a Sept. 1 South Kitsap home fire was started by a stove burner that was left on with combustible material close by.

South Kitsap Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief Jeff Faucett said fire crews responded to the fire about 3:02 p.m. after a neighbor called 911 when he saw smoke and heard smoke detectors going off at a home in the 2000 block of SW Youwood Way.

Faucett said firefighters entered the building and the fire was quickly extinguished.

“The kitchen had significant damage and the fire was contained to this one room,” said Faucett. “However there was smoke damage throughout the first floor.”

Faucett said he wants to remind the public that smoke detectors save lives and property.

“The fire this afternoon could have been much worse, had it not been detected early,” he said.

The fire department will install a smoke detector for free by calling 360-871-2411.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 17 edition online now. Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates