- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Garrido makes her case in NK, Matthes passes
South Kitsap commissioner campaign — and others — heat up.
One South Kitsap commissioner hopeful faced voters in North Kitsap last week, while the other passed on the opportunity.
Democrat Charlotte Garrido accepted an invitation to appear at the Kingston Cove Yacht Club, while Republican Tim Matthes regrets he didn’t.
Both ballot contenders for the North End commissioner term Steve Bauer and Sandra LaCelle were present along with South Kitsap Commissioner candidate
“I’m sorry I missed this,” he said Friday. “It would have been a good opportunity to talk to voters in North Kitsap.”
Fewer than 20 people attended the event, a which budget concerns were the top topic of choice.
Garrido suggested adopting park user fees or asking neighboring park communities to act as maintenance stewards to alleviate some of the pinch.
She, along with North Kitsap Commissioner Steve Bauer and his Republican challenger Sandra LaCelle, then weighed in on the salaries of various county staff and the commissioners’ stipends.
Garrido said in her previous term as county commissioner she wanted to give raises to the workers from “the bottom up” from the lowest paid.
“It wasn’t a popular decision at the time,” she said.
“This is the biggest and hardest job I’ve ever done and it deserves a fair wage,” Bauer said.
LaCelle said raises in general were not a good idea, and that commissioners in particular didn’t need to be paid more.
“The wage commissioners are earning now is a very fair wage,” she said, “especially with the budget crises looming out there.”
Several other campaign events are scheduled for the next few weeks, including:
• The Port Orchard Chamber of Commerce is hosting the 26th District Legislative Candidates at 11:30 a.m. on Sept. 11 at the LeGarmache Catering Banquet Room in Port Orchard. Larry Seaquist, Marlyn Jensen, Kim Abel and Jan Angel are scheduled to attend. Lunch costs $15 in advance and $17 on the day of the event for chamber members; $20 for non members.
• The Kitsap County League of Women Voters are hosting a County Commissioners’ forum at 7 p.m. on Sept. 23 at the Eagle’s Nest, Kitsap County Fairgrounds. Steve Bauer, Sandra LaCelle, Charlotte Garrido and Tim Matthes are scheduled to participate.
• On Sept. 6, Garrido will hold an all-day benefit concert at Luna Azul Designs, 2915 SE Duchess Court, Port Orchard. Suggested donation is $25.
The music will start at 1 p.m., rain or shine, and performing will be blues and folk singer Alice Stuart, harmonica player John Marshall and Trouble at Home, country folk artist John Nelson and recording artist Clive Stewart.
• 26th District House of Representatives Candidate Marlyn Jensen will hold a family picnic from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. on Sept 7 at 1025 Papago Drive, Fox Island.
* Jensen and her opponent, Rep. Larry Seaquist, will appear at the Eggs and Issues forum at 7:30 a.m. Sept. 9 at the Cloverleaf Cafe in Bremerton.