- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
McCormick Woods fire declared arson
A Sunday night fire at McCormick Woods Golf Course that destroyed an equipment shed was arson, according to the Kitsap County Fire Marshal's Office.
Fire Marshal David Lynam said the fire that began around 10 p.m. March 29 started outside a golf course maintenance building and was “definitely intentionally set,” though he could not release more details about how exactly it was started.
Lynam said his office is working with the Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office to investigate the arson, and deputies are following leads on a few individuals. He said there is a possible reward for information through the Arson Alarm Foundation of up to $1,500.
There were no injuries reported, and Lynam said preliminary estimates of damage are of “well over $500,000.
“The building was full of lawn-mowing equipment such as tractors and mowers,” he said, adding that the building itself was a “total loss.”
Lynam said there were no fire alarms or sprinklers in the building, and the flames eventually triggered the burglar alarm.
By the time South Kitsap Fire and Rescue arrived after receiving the call at 10:09 p.m., the building was “fully involved,” Lynam said.
SKFR Deputy Chief Steve Wright said by the time crews arrived the “roof was falling into the building,” but the location allowed firefighters easy access to the 50-by-100-foot building and the fire was extinguished by 10:45 p.m.
A SKFR duty chief said there were propane and other fuel tanks very close to the building, and four engines and a medic unit responded.
McCormick’s General Manager Shawn Cucciardi said activities at the golf course and restaurant are continuing as normal.
“We deeply appreciate the assistance we are receiving from vendors, suppliers and friends while we work through the insurance and replacement process,” said Cucciardi. “While the shop loss is difficult, it is not located on the course and will not impact or interrupt (our) daily operations.”
Anyone with information about the fire is asked to call the fire marshal’s office at (360) 337-5777.