PO bicyclist’s condition improves after wreck last week

A 19-year-old Port Orchard man who crashed his bicycle in South Kitsap last week remained was upgraded to satisfactory condition Wednesday, according to a spokeswoman at Harborview Medical Center.

According to the Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office incident report, the victim was riding his bicycle on Phillips Road the night of June 29 when he apparently hit a sign and fell onto the road.

After receiving a call about a victim lying in the road, a deputy responded to Phillips Road just south of Sedgwick Road shortly before 11 p.m. to find an injured man in the road being attended to by two women. Spokesman Deputy Scott Wilson said that the women did not witness the accident, but discovered the victim lying in the road.

The deputy noted that the victim was lying face-down, partly in the road, with a bicycle lying on its side nearby, and a “Road Work Ahead” sign knocked down several feet away.

Wilson said the deputy immediately called for an ambulance, then after observing that the victim was “gurgling,” he asked for assistance from the two women to roll the victim over.

“He then speculated that the man had been drinking, based on the fact that he was snoring, and never talked or opened his eyes,” Wilson said, explaining that the deputy took photographs of the scene, but left soon after South Kitsap Fire and Rescue personnel arrived due to receiving a priority call.

“He received the call about a woman with a butcher knife threatening to stab people,” Wilson said, referring to an incident reported at 11:30 p.m. June 29 at the Mariners Glen Apartment complex that led to a 38-year-old woman being arrested for first-degree attempted assault.

“We had minimum staffing, and the deputy did the best he could,” Wilson said. “There was nothing to indicate to the officer that this had been a hit-and-run.”

The victim was transported to Harborview Medical Center that night, and after one ambulance left, the deputy placed the damaged bicycle in the remaining ambulance before leaving the scene.

Wilson said the incident is not being investigated as a crime, but traffic investigators are reviewing the evidence.

“We retrieved the bicycle and examined it,” he said. “The front tire was flat, but there was (no definitive evidence of a hit-and-run.) With vehicle strikes, there’s some pretty tell-tale evidence of what occurred.”

Wilson said no bicycle had no headlamp, and the victim was not wearing a helmet.

“There’s no street lamps in that area, and it’s dark,” he said, adding that it is also possible that the bicyclist was driven off the road by an approaching car.

Whatever the case, Wilson said the deputy did not just “stop by and then leave. He did everything that could have been done.”

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates