Former City Councilman Moore brought back to Kitsap County Jail

Former Port Orchard City Councilman Tye Moore, wanted on a 2008 child molestation charge, was brought back from Alabama Thursday, according to Port Orchard Police Chief Alan Townsend.

“They literally just checked him into his new hotel,” Townsend said Thursday afternoon, explaining that Moore was flown in Seattle earlier and driven to the Kitsap County Jail.

Moore skipped town in mid-2008 after a child molestation charge was re-filed against him in August of that year. He was found living in Alabama thanks to the diligence of POPD Det. E.J. Martin, and because Moore recently re-married.

“He was living under an assumed name, but used his real name when he got married,” Townsend said, explaining that Moore, 38, was arrested Oct. 28, and was in Shelby County Jail for several weeks awaiting extradition to Kitsap County.

Moore was elected to the Port Orchard City Council in 2006, but left his seat shortly thereafter when he was charged with fraud and later convicted.

Just weeks after being released from prison following his forgery conviction, Moore was arrested for suspected child molestation.

According to the Port Orchard Police Department, officers learned of the suspected abuse after a sibling of the victim — a female then under 14 years of age — reported it to police.

When interviewed by a member of the Kitsap County Prosecutor’s Office’s Special Assault Unit, the victim reportedly confirmed the abuse.

She said on two occasions since Moore was released from Peninsula Work Release, he had touched her in a sexual manner. Four years prior to that, she said he had exposed himself to her.

Moore was then charged with one count of second-degree child molestation and scheduled for trial. However, prosecutors soon lost contact with both the victim and another material witness — Moore’s wife Elizabeth.

The charge was then dismissed in April of 2008 “without prejudice,” meaning it could be re-filed at some point, and Kitsap County Deputy Prosecutor Chris Casad said the charge was re-filed last August.

However, Townsend said Moore failed to appear for his arraignment and “skipped town.”

He said that Moore’s ex-wife, who has also remarried, is now “very cooperative” and willing to testify.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates