Police nab suspected smash-and-grab burglar

Roger Scott Boyd, a 49-year-old Olalla man, was arrested on nine counts of burglary in the second degree last Saturday morning following what investigators could have been an extensive smash-and-grab spree.

According to a Port Orchard Police report, at approximately 8 a.m., officers were advised of a burglary to Towne Square Port Orchard by a call from one of the mall’s tenants.

Upon arrival that morning, the owner of Phase 2 Pet Grooming discovered the store’s glass door at the northwest corner of the shopping center had been smashed.

Once inside, it was determined that seven other businesses had been hit, too.

Walk ’n Comfort Shoes had damaged white interior door and was taken for evidence.

Approximately $50 was taken in rolls of change from the Phase 2, and $150 was taken from Trendy Clothing.

During the investigation, officers discovered that two more burglaries had been reported at Desert Sun Tanning Salon and Island Teriyaki, less than a mile away up Mile Hill Drive.

Boyd was observed by Officer Erik Wofford suspiciously running across the street. While continuing to observe the area, Wofford also noticed a suspicious vehicle in the Port Orchard Independent parking lot across the street from Desert Sun Tanning.

While police watched, Boyd emerged from the bushes and entered the vehicle parked in the Independent’s parking lot and drove off.

Wofford made a routine traffic stop, during which he observed Boyd was sweating profusely, had glass shards in his hair and a cut to his forehead, which was also bleeding.

After obtaining a telephonic search warrant, officers searched Boyd’s vehicle and discovered a grey metal lockbox (reported as stolen from Desert Sun), two pairs of leather gloves, two jackets and approximately $175.

In the pocket of one of the jackets, officers found glass shards, rolls of change (reported stolen from Phase 2 Groomers) and a mallet with white paint transfer on it, which officers determined was used to gain access to the businesses.

He was booked into Kitsap County jail on $200,000 bail.

On Monday, Boyd appeared for his preliminary hearing, at which he was charged with three counts of burglary in the second degree and his bail was reduced to $50,000.

According to King County records, Boyd has a 20-year criminal history with more than 12 arrests for burglary in the second degree.

Boyd began his career in 1985, when he was arrested and charged in King County for burglary in the second degree and was sentenced to 12 months.

He was arrested again in 1987, 1990, 1993, 1997 and again in 2002 in King County on the same charge, with a total of 10 second-degree burglary charges.

He was also arrested in 2002 in King County for rape in the second degree and domestic violence, which he pled down to incest in the first degree.

He was sentenced to 102 months.

Boyd was released from the Washington State Correctional Facility at Shelton in July of 2009.

“He is responsible for scores of burglaries,” said Port Orchard Police Department Commander Geoffrey Marti. “We’ve seen this modus operandi over the last few months.

“He likes to go in and smash glass doors of commercial businesses and grab their cash,” he said. “The MO is exactly the same every time, so it’s not a big reach to think this is our guy. The officers did a tremendous job on this, we have fantastic physical evidence.

“It is very hard to catch a burglar,” Marti said, “especially a commercial burglar. Officer Wofford did several things very right and I am proud of our officers. This investigation is ongoing and we are working with other law enforcement agencies in the area to see if there are other cases.”

Nancy Read, owner of Trendy Clothing Consignment, said she walked in Saturday morning and discovered the outside door broken with glass everywhere, then she walked in and discovered glass all around the shops.

Read’s business was one of the eight that was burglarized and her door smashed.

“They took $150 out of my register,” she said. “It’s really hard to see this, especially in this economy.”

Janice Barale-Bass, owner of Just J’s Café, said this isn’t the first time this has happened.

“The shopping center had a break-in Memorial Day Weekend,” she said. “An ATM and Pepsi machine were both damaged, and now Pepsi won’t give me a new machine because there was over $300 damage to the last one.”

Bass said the mall has no security system.

The landlord told tenants she would supply a security guard overnight, but according to Bass she hasn’t.

“(The tenants) have taken turns sleeping here overnight in order to guard against intruders,” Bass said.

“We’ve had five robberies here since 2008,” said Shirley Hall, owner of Crafter’s Gifts. “Two of them have happened in the last month.”

“This is not good for our businesses,” said Bass. “It sends a message that, ‘Hey, we’re easy targets.’”

Grace Li, owner of the shopping center, confirmed that they did not have alarms or motion-sensor lighting on the doors.

In light of this last incident, however, “We are increasing security,” Li said. “We’re looking for someone to stay onsite overnight and we’re in the process of putting in video cameras.”

Boyd will be back in Kitsap County Court on July 15.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates