South Kitsap explosion injures two
July 17, 2010 · 2:45 AM
Two Navy men stationed at Kitsap Naval Station Bangor were airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle on Friday night as the result of an explosion that ripped through their South Kitsap home.
The incident occurred on the 1500 block of Sedgwick Road between Bethel and Ramsey Road, where the 28- and 22-year-old victims resided.
South Kitsap Fire and Rescue crews were dispatched to the scene at around 7:30 p.m. to treat the two victims, who reportedly sustained burns to the face, hands, arms and airway after a military oxygen breathing apparatus (OBA) exploded and caught fire.
After preliminary investigation, Kitsap County Deputy Scott Wilson confirmed that, “Alcohol was involved in this incident.”
According to Wilson, a bomb squad was dispatched to the scene and obtained a search warrant to make a safety sweep of the property and to investigate the incident.
The sailors were reportedly in possession of OBA canisters and were including a campfire and gasoline into the mix, which resulted in the explosion.
“They are exceptionally lucky,” said Wilson. “There is scrap metal that was flung across the street and landed behind the gas station and around Cutter’s Coffee.”
A Navy investigator was also on scene to investigate.