Boys soccer: Henry's come-from-behind goal leads to stalemate at Stadium

TACOMA — Ties are sterile and rarely elicit emotion.
But Tuesday night’s 2-all stalemate at Stadium was an exception for South Kitsap boys soccer coach Julie Cain.
“We have not come back from being down by a goal before,” she said. “We played really hard.”
The Wolves (4-2-2 overall, 4-2-1 league) faced the specter of a loss with a match against first-place Central Kitsap on Thursday. Because of that, Cain said her team could not afford a loss against the Tigers (4-3-1, 4-2-1).
Both teams remain in a tie for third place in Class 4A Narrows. The top four teams in the league advance to districts. After this week, South has six league games remaining.
The Wolves were in position to pick up their second straight road win — they won 1-0 on March 29 at Gig Harbor — when sophomore forward Noah Sterling took a pass from junior Daniel Henry and put a hard shot off the fingertips of goalkeeper Nick Rosato into the net during the 15th minute.
“They were leaving the back post open,” Cain said. “We did a good job of swinging the ball.”
South junior goalkeeper Jaxom Beverage then saved shots by midfielders Max Harvey and Jacob Beardemphl in the 22nd and 25th, respectively.
But the Wolves could not contain Harvey during the second half as he scored in the 45th and 53rd to give Stadium its first lead. Cain felt another player was a more significant factor, though.
“(Forward Andrew) Foreman is a great player,” she said. “He runs laterally and is hard to stay with.”
Cain credited Foreman with creating mismatches that opened up opportunities for the Tigers.
“They played really direct in the second half,” she said. “They had a lot of corner kicks.”
Cain felt her team defended those opportunities well and then eventually took advantage of its own shot in the 67th when Henry scored the final goal.
“We got numbers and attacked,” she said. “It was a beautiful goal.”
It was the first match between the teams. They meet again at 7 p.m. April 24 at Joe Knowles Stadium.
“I think we’ll handle their speed up to on grass,” Cain said.
After playing the Cougars, South next competes April 19 against Olympia. The Wolves won the previous meeting 1-0 on March 19.
South Kitsap 2, at Stadium 2
First half—1, South Kitsap, Noah Sterling (Daniel Henry), 15th minute.
Second half—2, Stadium, Max Harvey, 45th; 3, Stadium, Harvey, 53rd; 4, South Kitsap, Henry, 67th.
We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates