Gig Harbor at South Kitsap | Football capsule
September 14, 2012 · 11:36 AM
• Time: 7 tonight @ Joe Knowles Stadium
• Newport Coach: Aaron Chantler, first year
• League Affiliation: Class 4A Narrows League
• Offensive formation: Spread
• Defensive formation: Multiple
• Last year’s Record: 5-5
• 2011 playoff results: Gig Harbor did not qualify for the playoffs.
• Key returners: RB Sterling Brown, 5-10, 175, Jr.; DB Jon Michael Cosper, 6-2, 170, Sr.; WR Reese Carlson, 6-4, 195, Sr.; QB Garrett Gallinger, 6-4, 215, Sr.; WR Jonathan Lawson, 6-2, 195, Sr.; DB Jack Schweitzer, 6-3, 215, Sr.; LB Matt Smith, 5-10, 200, Jr.; WR Garret Steuk, 5-9, 165, Jr.; LB T.J. Turnbull, 5-11, 200, Sr.; LB Harrison White, 5-10, 200, Sr.
• South Kitsap vs. Gig Harbor: South leads the series 13-7.
• Last meeting with Gig Harbor: The Tides won 30-20 on Sept. 30, 2011.
• Last week: Peninsula defeated Gig Harbor 37-6.
• Eric Canton vs. Gig Harbor: 0-0.
• Overview: Five years later, people around South's football program still like to talk about the "Mud Bowl," where the Wolves defeated the rival Tides 7-0 at Joe Knowles Stadium. This year's game could feature a much different feeling, though. Both Sound (D.J. Sigurdson) and Gig Harbor (Darren McKay) saw their longtime coaches leave under different circumstances. McKay had a 7-5 record against the Wolves, while Sigurdson was 8-7 versus the Tides. In their place is two coaches who have more to more pass-oriented offenses. The results have not been strong for Gig Harbor, which lost both of its nonleague games by a combined score of 74-16. If the early results are any indication, the Wolves could end a two-game losing streak in the series and win by more than 10 points against the Tides for the first time since 2000 (27-7). South has not defeated Gig Harbor at home since 2007.