South Kitsap at Bellarmine Prep | Football capsule
September 19, 2012 · 4:12 PM
• Time: 7 tonight @ Memorial Field
• Newport Coach: Tom Larsen, 10th year
• League Affiliation: Class 4A Narrows League
• Offensive formation: I-formation
• Defensive formation: 3-3
• Last year’s Record: 11-1
• 2011 playoff results: Bellarmine lost 42-17 in the 4A state quarterfinals.
• Key returners: WR/DB Calvin Chandler, 6-3, 215, Sr.; DB Drew Griffin, 6-0, 200, Jr.; TE Logan Hickman, 5-10, 224, Sr.; OL Kevin Kors, 5-11, 300 Sr.; QB Sefo Liufau, 6-4, 220, Sr.; OL Matthew McDougal, 6-2, 291, Sr.; OL Macartney McQuery, 6-3, 300, Sr.; LB Lou Millie, 5-0, 197, Jr.; OL/LB Zach Ota, 5-9, 247, Jr.; LB Jacob Salazar, 5-11, 185, Sr.
• South Kitsap vs. Bellarmine Prep: South leads the series 23-6.
• Last meeting with Bellarmine Prep: The Lions won 38-21 on Oct. 7, 2011.
• Last week: Bellarmine defeated Central Kitsap 42-7.
• Eric Canton vs. Bellarmine Prep: 0-0.
• Overview: Bellarmine Prep generally was regarded as the Wolves' top rival in the 1980s. But that cooled for more than a decade as the teams rarely met during former coach D.J. Sigurdson's era as they generally were in opposite divisions in the Narrows League. And when they played, South dominated the series with 11 consecutive victories dating back to 1989. That finally changed two years ago when the Lions won 27-3 at Memorial Field and repeated again last year in Port Orchard. Both teams enter the game undefeated and South coach Eric Canton called it a potential "league championship" game this week. The Wolves are 3-0, but their opponents have just a combined 2-7 record this year. This game should serve as a true measurement for how much they have advanced this season as Bellarmine entered the season as a state championship contender. University of Colorado-bound Liufau is one of the state's top dual threats. The Lions lost standout running back Isaiah Flynn, who is concentrating on basketball, but still feature plenty of talent, particularly on the lines.