South Kitsap at Yelm | Football capsule
October 3, 2012 · 3:35 PM
• Time: 7 tonight @ Yelm
• Yelm Coach: Randy Swilley, fifth year.
• League Affiliation: Class 4A Narrows League
• Offensive formation: Multiple.
• Defensive formation: 4-3.
• Last year’s Record: 2-7.
• 2011 playoff results: Yelm did not qualify for the playoffs.
• Key returners: OL Cody Anderson, 5-10, 260, Sr.; RB Kyle Brownell, 5-10, 175, Sr.; RB/DB Quentin Buck, 5-10, 175, Jr.; DB Greg Martin, 6-1, 175, Jr.; DE Max Painter, 5-10, 175, Sr.; RB/DB Jacob Swilley 5-10, 185, Sr.
• Yelm vs. South Kitsap: First meeting.
• Last meeting with Yelm: First meeting.
• Last week: Central Kitsap defeated Yelm 35-7.
• Eric Canton vs. Yelm: 0-0.
• Overview: The Tornados played a light nonleague schedule and opened 4A Narrows play with a 45-6 win at Stadium, which has a 1-4 record. But Yelm, which made the jump from 3A Narrows after being reclassified based on enrollment, did not play well last week in its loss at Central Kitsap. Despite their schedule, the Tornados have struggled to stop opponents. They allow an average of 28.4 points per game, which is tied with Gig Harbor for second worst in 4A Narrows behind Stadium (43.6). Yelm struggled to stop opponents and produce points last season. It remains to be seen whether the offense, which is led by the coach’s son, Jacob Swilley, can continue to produce against strong competition. Swilley, who is vying for his third consecutive 1,000-yard rushing season, paces an offense that has averaged 35.6 points per game, which is second in 4A Narrows behind Bellarmine Prep (41.4). This game holds significance for both teams because the winner will own the playoff tiebreaker and hold sole possession of at least fourth place in league. The top four finishers in 4A Narrows earn playoff berths.