Valle con Dios

It could be argued the mistakes made all season finally caught up to the South Kitsap High School football team Saturday at Lang Stadium in Lakewood.

Another explanation could be that the ball just didn’t bounce in its favor when No. 3 Kentridge (11-0) handed the No. 5 Wolves a 29-8 loss in the first round of the 4A state playoffs.

Either way, the Wolves’ (9-1) season came to an abrupt end.

As players reflect on the game that got away, it’s not so much what Kentridge did as much as what South Kitsap failed to do — play mistake-free football.

Two key turnovers and three costly pass interference calls highlighted SK’s miscues.

After stuffing South on a fourth down play at its own 38 yard-line to open the game, Kentridge took advantage of its first possession on Chris Paris’ 31-yard touchdown run to take an early 7-0 lead.

SK looked to senior running back Victor Valle to right the ship on the ensuing drive.

Valle scampered 26 yards on the first play to give SK the ball at mid-field.

But Valle was hurt on the play.

Junior backup running back Jon Sheperd took the next handoff, but fumbled the ball over to Kentridge. Despite the miscue, SK forced Kentridge into a fourth down with six yards to go.

Chargers quarterback Kevin Broadbent threw the ball down the middle in the hands of SK linebacker Andy Sund. But the play was all for naught as a pass interference was called on the defense and Kentridge got the ball on the 15 yard-line.

On the next play, Broadbent threw a ball in the end zone and another pass interference call was made against the Wolves. Broadbent then ran the ball in from two yards out to put the Chargers up 14-0.

Kentridge poured it on in the second quarter, milking six minutes off the clock before scoring on a Broadbent one-yard keeper. A botched snap on the point-after attempt forced Kentridge to go for two points and it converted to give the Chargers a 22-0 lead.

SK mounted its best drive of the game in the final six minutes of the quarter. The Wolves marched from their own 20 yard-line all the way to the end zone, a drive was capped by Valle’s one-yard plunge.

But Joey Henley blocked Hiram Davis’ point-after attempt to keep SK at six points.

While SK’s defense tightened the screws on Kentridge in the second half (just one second half touchdown), SK’s offense sputtered when it was forced to abandon the running game and start throwing the ball.

SK seemed to have momentum when safety Cody McCulley ended an impressive Kentridge drive with an interception in the endzone.

SK couldn’t convert the opportunity.

On a fourth-down play, the snap to punter Nick Anderson was too high and he was forced to scramble out of the pocket and was stopped short of the first down.

Kentridge converted the miscue into a controversial touchdown pass to Henley.

Broadbent’s ball was not only underthrown but thrown with the tip of the ball pointing towards the sky. Cornerback Pat Kelly drew a bead on the ball but it appeared Henley pushed off to make a path to the ball, which he caught at his shoestrings for the touchdown late in the third quarter.

“They have a great football team,” SK coach D.J. Sigurdson said of Kentridge.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates