- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Next Up: Olympia
Olympia Bears (7-0) at South Kitsap Wolves (5-2)
• Time: 7 p.m. Friday @ Joe Knowles Field
• Olympia coach: Bill Beattie
• League Affiliation: Narrows League
• Last year’s Record: 8-3 overall and 5-0 (first place) in the Narrows League Bay Division.
• 2007 playoff results: Olympia lost in the first round of the Class 4A state playoffs, 30-21, against Oak Harbor.
• Returning starters: Garrett Hall, WR, 5-10, 180, sr.; Dylan Parsons, RB, 5-11, 200, sr.; Kramer Skidmore, SS, 6-1, 190, sr.; Andrew Lankow, LB, 6-1, 220, sr.; Holden Rethwill, FS, 6-2, 190, sr.; Cody Alfonso, DL, 5-11, 250, sr.; Bob Clouse, OL, 5-11, 250, sr.; Steve Brazel, OL, 6-0, 245, sr.; Brandon Maguire, WR, 6-2, 180, sr.
• Top newcomers: Sam Gauksheim, LB, 6-0, 200, jr.; Drew Schultz, OL, 6-2, 220, jr.; Flynt Davies, LB, 5-11, 185, sr.
• Olympia vs. South Kitsap: Olympia leads the series 3-2.
• Last meeting: Olympia won last year’s game, 33-14, Oct. 27 in the Narrows League crossover game at Mount Tahoma.
• Last week: Olympia beat Shelton 42-0.
• D.J. Sigurdson vs. Olympia: 1-1.
• Overview: The Bears, who are ranked second in the 4A classification behind Skyline, long have fielded strong teams under Beattie, who has a 105-36 record since becoming Olympia’s coach in 1995. Beattie’s teams have garnered attention for their wide-open passing attacks, but it was the defense that guided the Bears back to state for a third consecutive year.
Olympia easily lead the Narrows League by allowing just 9.7 points per game. The Bears have lowered that average to 4 points per game this season.
The offense graduated 6-foot-5 quarterback Kramer Champlin, but remains productive. The Bears have increased their scoring average from 29.8 points per game in 2007 to 33.1. Parsons is a multiple threat as a runner and receiver.
He only carried three times last week because the Bears got off to a quick start against Shelton, but scored on a 25-yard touchdown run.